About This Project
In the words of one of the pre-eminent writers of the twentieth-century, Zora Neale Hurston; “There are years that ask questions and years that answer.”
I think these years occur on parallel paths (think train tracks). At every given point, we are ready to answer a question from our past self, and ask a new question for our future self to answer.
Questions open up space for us to reflect and ponder…..they trigger us to dig deep, and get to know ourselves even more….think of it as personal research.
Here are 25 Life-Changing Questions to get you started:
- What are your values and are you being true to them?
- What are you pretending not to know – where are you deceiving yourself?
- Are you who you want to be? How do you know?
- Are the people you spend time with a positive influence on your life?
- Do you spend enough time with the people who would cry the most at your funeral?
- How would you change if you saw the world through a child’s eyes?
- Are you living a physically/mentally/spiritually healthy lifestyle? If not, why not?
- Do you receive more than you give, or give more than you receive?
- Who are your role-models – why do you admire them?
- What have you done in your life for which you’ll be remembered after you are gone?
- What is the source of joy in your life?
- What would you love to do more of in your life? What would you like to do less of?
- What is your body telling you?
- Are your thoughts hurting, or healing you?
- What is your definition of success?
- What are your blind spots?
- What good is present in your life that you are not seeing / acknowledging?
- What are your greatest accomplishments in life so far?
- Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
- What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?
- Do you know how to make decisions for yourself, or do you let others make them for you?
- Why do you do what you do, when you know what you know?
- What do you want your life to stand for?
- Where will you be in 5 years if you keep doing what you are doing?
- What is the question you are not asking yourself? What might life look like on the other side of that question?
- Try exploring your answer to one question a day.
- Ask the question in the morning and let it marinate within you throughout the day. Be with it, sit with it, walk with it.
- At the end of the day let your answer pour onto the page as you sit and journal. If after 10 minutes of journaling you find you still need more clarity, you might like to stay with the same question for a few days until you find a clear answer emerging from within.
- Notice if you are resisting any particular question.
- By dedicating a little time, every day, to check in with yourself, you can begin to tap into your truth and get clearer about your life.
- In the process of asking yourself the questions above, you may start to find that there are other questions arising for you. Notice them, add them to your list and explore them.
- Questions that rise to the surface from within us, serve as cues for where we need to go deeper……
Enjoy the discovery.